Block Party Permit

Closing of a street requires the Village Mayor’s approval. He should be contacted at 614-486-6993 to discuss the request.

Building Permit

Building permits are required for the construction of any new structure, room addition, renovations, sheds, decks, swimming pool, and commercial tent as well as roof, window, and siding/exterior covering replacement and basement waterproofing. If you are planning building improvements or renovations, please contact the Grandview Heights Building and Zoning Department at 614-481-6220 for information about building permits and the need for a variance. Applications for variances must be filed with the Marble Cliff Fiscal Officer no later than 30 days before the meeting at which Council will consider the request (see VARIANCE PROCESS section). To view the building permit procedure, fee schedule, and permit forms click on the following:

Building and Zoning Permits

Zoning Map

Variance Application Procedure

Zoning Permit

All zoning questions/changes should be discussed with the Village Fiscal Officer at 614-486-6993 or

Click for the latest zoning map, which is up to date as of July 31, 2015:
Zoning Map

Burning Permit

Open burning is prohibited within Village limits.

Business Permit

All businesses are required to register with the Village tax administrator: CCA – Division of Taxation. Home-based businesses must also register with the Fiscal Officer at Village Hall. Click here to download the Home Business Registration Form.

Demolition Permit

Demolition may require a demolition permit before work commences. Contact Village Hall at 614-486-6993 for details. Click here to download the Wrecking or Demolition Permit.

Fence Permit

Fences and walls are regulated by the Village and require a permit before construction starts. Fences and walls higher than 4 feet also require a variance. Generally, fences may be constructed of any standard fence material except chain link and may not be electrified or have barbed wire. The smooth finished side must face outward toward neighboring properties. Any below ground electrical fence shall be placed so that it is five feet from side and rear property lines and five feet from the property side of all public sidewalk edges. Contact Village Hall for specific details or look at FENCE Section 154.079 of the ordinance at

Download Fence Permit Form

Fire Alarm/Burglar Alarm Permit

Before a fire alarm or burglar alarm system is installed, a permit must be obtained from the Grandview Heights Building Department. Homeowners with automatic alarm systems are required to provide a key vault as approved by the Grandview Fire Official.

Fire detection/suppression, Burglar alarm permit form

Garage Sales

Residents are not required to have a permit to hold a garage sale.

Home Businesses in Marble Cliff

Home-based businesses in Marble Cliff must complete a Home Business Registration form and file it with the Fiscal Officer. Click here to download the Home Business Registration Form.  Home-based business are required to register with the Village’s tax administrator: CCA – Division of Taxation.

Mobile Storage Units

Mobile storage containers are permitted in any residential area within the Village for a maximum of 72 hours. The Mayor is authorized to issue a permit extending the time period not to exceed 30 days. The permit is not renewable.

Sign Permit

The Marble Cliff sign ordinance is highly restrictive in order to insure and maintain the residential character of our neighborhood. Village Code permits the following signs to be displayed in the R-1 Residential District:

  • House for sale, Open House, or Lease/Rent signs
  • Political signs
  • Numerical address signs
  • Student achievement signs

Code DOES NOT permit display of any other kind of sign, including those of:

  • Businesses
  • For-profit and charitable/non-profit organizations
  • Schools and churches

If a resident wishes to display a prohibited sign for no more than 60 days, a temporary sign permit application must be submitted to Village Hall. After review of the application and proposed sign design, the Mayor or his designee may authorize the request or defer the decision to Village Council for its approval or disapproval at a regularly scheduled Council meeting. NO business advertising signs or non-profit organization signs are permitted on any residential property. Contact Village Hall for specific details or look at SIGN Section 154.125-154.127 of the ordinances at

Download Temporary Sign Permit Form

Download Permanent Sign Permit Form

Swimming Pool Application

Residents must apply for and receive Council’s approval for installation of a swimming pool before seeking a building permit. There will be a $100 application fee.

Download Swimming Pool Application Form