Construction/Home Improvement

Construction/Home Improvement

Construction/Home Improvement

Home improvements, such as construction, remodeling, or electrical, plumbing, heating/HVAC, siding, roof, window changes require getting a building permit through the Grandview Heights Building department at 1515 Goodale Blvd. Click on BUILDING PERMITS to access the various building permit forms. However, the following improvements do not need a permit. If there is any question, please contact Village Hall at 614-486-6993.


  • Carpet or flooring
  • Driveway sealing and resurfacing
  • Gutter, downspout replacement. A right of way permit is required if downspout goes to the street.
  • Interior and exterior painting
  • Non-structural lawn and landscaping installation

Attention Contractors

As you work in the Village of Marble Cliff, we ask that you be aware of the following regulations:

  1. The Village of Marble Cliff prohibits contractor yard signs of any type placed anywhere on the property where you are providing services.Section 154.125 (I) of the Codified Ordinances of the Village of Marble Cliff provides a penalty of up to $200 per violation per day.
  2. In the Village of Marble Cliff, any construction work requiring a variance must be completed within one year of the effective date of the ordinance granting the variance or the variance expires and the property owner must seek re-approval.
  3. All construction activity within the Village of Marble Cliff which creates noise and disruption to the neighborhood must be limited to Monday through Friday 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM, 8:30 AM to 1:00 PM on Saturday and is prohibited on Sunday.
  4. The Village of Marble Cliff has a 2% income tax on all income earned while working within the Village of Marble Cliff. The Village’s income tax is administered by the City of Columbus, Income Tax Division.

Building Permit

Building permits are required for the construction of any new structure, room addition, renovations, shed over 100 square feet, deck, swimming pool, and commercial tent. If you are planning building improvements or renovations, please contact the Grandview Heights Building and Zoning Department at 614-481-6204 for information about building permits and the need for a variance. Applications for variances must be filed with the Marble Cliff Fiscal Officer no later than 30 days before the meeting at which Council will consider the request (see VARIANCE PROCESS above). To view the building permit process, click on the following:

Residential Building Permit Application Procedure
Zoning Map
Fee Schedule

Demolition Permit

Demolition may require a demolition permit before work commences. Contact Village Hall at 614-486-6993 for details. Click here to download the Wrecking or Demolition Permit.

Digging/Utility Locations

Before you dig and possibly sever a gas or electrical line, contact OUPS at 8-1-1 or 1-800-362-2764 or It could save a life!

Fence Permit

Fences and walls are regulated by the Village and require a permit before construction starts. Fences and walls higher than 4 feet also require a variance. Generally, fences may be constructed of any standard fence material except chain link and may not be electrified or have barbed wire. The smooth finished side must face outward toward neighboring properties. Any below ground electrical fence shall be placed so that it is five feet from side and rear property lines and five feet from the property side of all public sidewalk edges. Contact Village Hall for specific details or look at FENCE Section 154.079 of the ordinance at

Download Fence Permit Form


Residential* Sidewalks – The Village will pay for 100% of sidewalk maintenance and/or replacement cost.


Residential* Driveway Approach – Village to pay for 50%, Owner to pay for 50% of driveway maintenance and/or replacement cost. The Village Engineer determines when to repair/replace the driveway approach. If property owner elects to replace the approach for aesthetic reasons, as determined by the Village Engineer, the property owner will then be responsible for 100% of the repair/replacement cost. The driveway approach includes the adjacent, associated street curbing.


*Residential is defined as:
Single Family Homes
Apartment Units of 4 or fewer


Street curbing – The Village will replace street curbing on an as-needed basis to maintain proper drainage and preserve street pavements. Replacement will typically occur with associated street pavement maintenance projects. When replacement includes curbing adjacent to a driveway approach which is not scheduled for repair/replacement the Village will be responsible for 100% of the cost of the curbing.


Construction Standards – The Village Engineer will maintain construction standards for sidewalk and driveway approaches. Each project within the R/W, not managed by the Village, will require a permit and inspection. The cost of permits and inspection will be updated on an as-needed basis by Village staff.


Maintenance Standards– The Village Engineer and staff will develop maintenance standards for sidewalk and driveway approaches to apply to all properties within Marble Cliff. Considerations will be primarily based on pedestrian safety and drainage as opposed to aesthetic improvements. The primary (but not the only) safety issue is tripping hazards.


Tripping hazards are defined as any raised or depressed sidewalk (a vertically misaligned panel of a one-half inch or greater) which would have the potential to catch the foot of someone walking or impair the travel of a wheeled mobility device. Severe deterioration can also be considered a hazard and is defined as those sidewalks with surface defects of one-half inch or greater and/or a loose “rocking” panel.


ADA Ramps at street intersections – The Village will cover all cost associated with constructing ADA ramps at street intersections and publically maintained crosswalks. Many intersections within the Village have older-style ADA (American with Disabilities Act) wheelchair ramps. The Village plans to upgrade these ramps when adjoining streets are rebuilt or repaved. Since the Village is currently pursuing pavement preventative-maintenance work, actual repaving may not occur for another five to seven years. By coordinating the ADA ramp replacement with repaving, the Village ensures that the most up-to-date standard will be applied to this capital investment when required by law.

Sign Permit

The Marble Cliff sign ordinance is highly restrictive in order to insure and maintain the residential character of our neighborhood. Village Code permits the following signs to be displayed in the R-1 Residential District:

  • House for sale, Open House, or Lease/Rent signs
  • Political signs
  • Numerical address signs
  • Student achievement signs

Code DOES NOT permit display of any other kind of sign, including those of:

  • Businesses
  • For-profit and charitable/non-profit organizations
  • Schools and churches

If a resident wishes to display a prohibited sign for no more than 60 days, a temporary sign permit application must be submitted to Village Hall. After review of the application and proposed sign design, the Mayor or his designee may authorize the request or defer the decision to Village Council for its approval or disapproval at a regularly scheduled Council meeting. NO business advertising signs or non-profit organization signs are permitted on any residential property. Contact Village Hall for specific details or look at SIGN Section 154.125-154.127 of the ordinances at

Download Temporary Sign Permit Form

Download Permanent Sign Permit Form

Swimming Pool

Residents must apply for and receive Council’s approval for installation of a swimming pool before seeking a building permit. There will be a $100 application fee.

Download Swimming Pool Application Form

Sewer Connections

A clean Village with clean water is a goal of the Village. Citizens are encouraged to report illegal dumping and illicit sewer connections to Village Hall (614-486-6993) for further investigation. Confidentiality will be maintained.


Land usage within the Village is regulated so as to promote and protect the public health, safety, comfort, and general welfare of the community. Zoning ordinances may be reviewed by clicking on

Click here for a Zoning Map