Resident Services

The Village of Marble Cliff contracts with the City of Grandview Heights for refuse and public services. Questions regarding services should be directed to Marble Cliff Village Hall at or via phone at 614-486-6993; or you can contact the Grandview Heights Service Department at 614-488-4728 or via fax at 614-481-6222.

Refuse & Recycling Information

Furniture and Bulk Item Disposal

If your trash is collected by Grandview Heights, furniture and bulk items (no tires or construction debris) will be picked up at no charge after scheduling the pickup through Grandview Heights Service Department, 614-488-4729. DO NOT DUMP ITEMS AT THE SERVICE DEPARTMENT COMPLEX. The Grandview Heights Police Department will be monitoring the complex, and dumpers will be fined, as per Section 331.43 of the Grandview Heights Codified Ordinance.

General Recycling and Pickup Information

Copies of The Refuse and Recycling Regulations are available through the Village office. Additional information is available on the Service Department Hotline (614-488-4728).


Refuse pickup day for the Village is Friday. The only exception is when a holiday falls on a Friday; then refuse is picked up on the following Monday. Please remember to allow truck access to your items.


Recycling material is picked up curbside on Fridays. Yard waste is picked up on Monday except when a holiday falls on a Monday. If a holiday falls on a Monday, yard waste will be collected on TUESDAY for that week. Pickup of properly bundled or packaged yard waste starts in April and continues through November (depending on the weather).


Other times, yard waste may be dropped off at the yard waste facility and leaves may be taken directly to the yard waste facility at 4120 Roberts Road (next to the City of Upper Arlington complex), or yard waste and leaves placed in biodegradable paper bags may be brought to the Service Department by appointment only between 7:30 a.m. and 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday after this date. Yard waste MUST be appropriately bundled and tied or bagged as per our regulations. Limbs, up to 3” in diameter and 4’ long must be bundled and tied with biodegradable twine. No large loose limbs or bags or bundles over 50 pounds permitted.


Learn more:


Save More Than Food – Central Ohio Food Waste Initiative


Recycle Right

Hazardous Household Materials

For disposal of latex paint, pour sand or kitty litter inside the can. This will stabilize the paint. It may then be put into the trash after it has dried. If paint cans are empty, or the paint is dried up, you may also dispose of them in the trash.

The Grandview Service Department does not accept lead based paint, car batteries, tires, fluorescent bulbs or other hazardous waste materials.  The SWACO drop off center at 645 E. 8th Avenue, Columbus, OH 43201 takes such things as insecticides, chemicals, oil based paint, old gasoline, car batteries, etc. If you have any questions, you may contact them at 614-294-1300 or They are open 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Wednesdays and Fridays and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Thursdays. See the complete list of items accepted here.


Leaves are collected from the tree lawn curb strip during October and November. Please do not rake leaves into the street as they could clog the stormsewer drains. From December through March, leaves and yard waste in biodegradable bags may be dropped off at the Service Department by appointment (please call 614-488-4728) between 7:30 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. weekdays.

Newspapers and Magazines

Newspapers and magazines are picked up curbside with all recyclables.


Marble Cliff residents serviced by Grandview Heights enjoy “single-stream” curbside recycling.  All items listed below can be placed at the curbside in a container no larger than 32 gallons, weighing no more than 50 pounds, and bearing a recycle sticker available at Village Hall or the Grandview Service Department.

The list of items that will be accepted are:

* All types of plastic containers, no lids
* Glass jars and bottles of any color
* Aluminum, steel, and bi-metal cans
* Newspapers, (including inserts) loose or in brown kraft bags.
* Magazines
* Telephone books
* Junk mail
* Paperboard (such as cereal/pizza boxes)
* Office paper
* Corrugated cardboard, broken down

Special Needs

Elderly and/or physically disabled residents who are unable to comply with the refuse or recycling regulations herein should contact the Service Department at 614-488-4728 to make special arrangements for solid waste pickup.

Yard Waste

Grandview Heights Service Department crews will collect yard waste for Marble Cliff residents each Monday from April through the end of November. If a holiday falls on a Monday, yard waste will be collected on TUESDAY for that week. Holiday closings are advertised in the local papers the week prior to the closing.

Yard waste must be appropriately bundled or placed in biodegradable paper bags and shall not be set out earlier than one hour prior to sunset on Sunday. Bundles or bags shall be placed next to the alley or if no alley exists, behind the curb at the street.

Tree limbs and shrubbery must be cut and bundled with twine or string (no wire, plastic or nylon string.) Bundles should be no larger than two feet in diameter, four feet long and weigh no more than 50 pounds.

Grass and plant materials must be placed in paper bags not to exceed 30 gallon capacity (no plastic or biodegradable plastics are permitted.)

Sod, soil, or dirt covered roots are not accepted. 

Residents may use a refuse container for yard waste but must display a “Yard Waste” sticker (obtained by calling 614-488-4728). The container may weigh no more than 50 pounds and should not have limbs sticking out more than 12″ above the top of container.

For a copy of the rules and regulations, contact the Grandview Heights Service Department at 614-488-4728.

Additional Services

Animals Dead on Roadway

The Grandview Heights Service Department will pick up dead animals from Village streets and roads. Call 614-488-4728.

Dead Birds

Dead blue jays and crows are considered a potential indicator of West Nile Virus (WNV) activity. The Franklin County Board of Health no longer collects the birds for testing because it is already known that WNV is present in the county.

If you find a dead bird you are encouraged to properly dispose of it. The best method of handling it is by either double-bagging your hands or by using a shovel to retrieve it. Double-bag the bird and throw it into the trash. Make sure you wash your hands.

Fallen Trees and Limbs from Trees in the Tree Line

The Village will pay for removal of trees and limbs in the “tree line” between the sidewalk and the street. Contact Village Hall at 614-486-6993 to arrange pickup. After business hours if debris is blocking the street, contact the Grandview Heights Police Department at 614-488-7901.

Mosquito Control

Mosquitoes breed in roadside ditches, farmers’ fields, suburban backyards and anywhere water is stagnant after a rain. Five to six days after a heavy rain, a new generation of mosquitoes emerges. They use prevailing winds to fly up to 50 miles to look for a meal. During the day, they rest in woods or any spot where they will not be disturbed and then come out at dusk to feed.

The Village does not spray for mosquito control as spraying only kills the adults flying at the time of the spraying and may also kill other non-target insects, such as ladybugs, butterflies, and bees flying at the time of the spraying.; however, residents are encouraged to eliminate larvae breeding areas on their property by removing local opportunities for larvae to hatch. Residents should police their yards for any standing water, paying particular attention to: gutters with standing water in them, buckets of rain water, wading pools, margarine tubs, plastic kids’ toys, tarps covering something, boats, tires, and holes in trees that collect water.

The Village does participate in the Franklin County Board of Health’s Integrated Mosquito Management Plan and permits spraying by the County should it deem spraying necessary. When done properly, spraying for mosquitoes is an effective way to reduce the number of mosquitoes and to reduce your risk of contracting mosquito-borne diseases.

In order to be effective, spraying must coincide with the time of day mosquitoes are most active. For the mosquitoes that carry West Nile Virus, that means spraying around dusk or in the early morning. The Franklin County Board of Health employs licensed pesticide applicators and
trained service persons to apply pesticides intended specifically for mosquito control. The pesticides are registered with the U.S. EPA and the Ohio Department of Agriculture and are applied according to the manufacturers’ label, and federal and state laws.

The Franklin County Board of Health uses ultra-low-volume (ULV) spray machines that are computer controlled and calibrated to apply extremely small amounts of pesticide over large areas. In a typical application, they use about one teaspoon of active ingredient per acre.

With the same amount of pesticide in one can of Raid® Yard Guard Outdoor Fogger, the Franklin County Board of Health can treat 29.7 acres using ULV technology.

The pesticides used by the Franklin County Board of Health do not persist in the environment; they break down within hours, are destroyed rapidly by light and will decompose when exposed to air. The morning after an application, the amount of residual pesticide on exterior surfaces will be negligible. To greatly reduce your exposure during spraying, you can
take the following precautionary steps:

  • Check the Franklin County Board of Health’s website for notices about spraying in your area.
  • Remain indoors with windows closed when spraying is taking place.
  • Bring laundry and toys indoors before spraying begins.
  • Bring your pets indoors, and turn aerators in ornamental fishponds to avoid direct exposure.
  • Cover outdoor tables and play equipment or rinse them off after spraying is finished.
  • Wash with soap and water if you come in contact with pesticides.
  • Wash any exposed fruits and vegetables with water before storing, cooking or eating.
  • Wait about one hour before allowing children to play in areas that have been sprayed.
  • For your safety and the safety of the operators, do not approach or follow a spray truck when it is operating. If you are in a vehicle, please try to find an alternate route.

There is no need to relocate during spraying. Consult your physician if you have specific medical concerns regarding the spraying. The Franklin County Board of Health maintains a Do Not Spray registry of residents who request a limited shut-off of the pesticide as our truck mounted sprayers pass their property. The Franklin County Board of Health will make a good faith effort to shut off truck-mounted ULV equipment within 150 feet of a registered property. This registry will be rendered inactive if the Health Commissioner declares a public health emergency where treatment is indicated. In the event of a public health emergency or aerial application, the Franklin County Board of Health will attempt to telephone members of the registry prior to treatment of their property.

The Do Not Spray requests are considered public information and the Franklin County\ Board of Health may notify neighbors as to why part of their neighborhood is not being treated. As part of its public notification process, a list of Do Not Spray locations may be posted on the Franklin County Board of Health’s website or made available by other means, and the Do Not Spray locations may be indicated or published on internet treatment maps.
Each request is valid for the current calendar year only. For details about or to sign up for the Franklin County Board of Health Do Not Spray registry, visit If you are unable to print out the form, call the office at 614-462-BITE to request a form and a form will be mailed to you.

If you have questions, want to report a complaint or need additional information about mosquitoes, call the Franklin County Board of Health’s Mosquito Bite Line at 614-462-BITE (614-462-2483) and leave a message; your call will be returned. You can also visit


To report potholes or other street maintenance problems, contact Village Hall at 614-486-6993.

Sanitary Sewer Backup

To report possible sanitary sewer overflows, please call the Village Hall at 614-486-6993, or after hours please call the Grandview Heights Service Department at 614-488-4728.

Sidewalks/Driveway Apron

Residential* Sidewalks – The Village will pay for 100% of sidewalk maintenance and/or replacement cost.

Residential* Driveway Approach – Village to pay for 50%, Owner to pay for 50% of driveway maintenance and/or replacement cost. The Village Engineer determines when to repair/replace the driveway approach. If property owner elects to replace the approach for aesthetic reasons, as determined by the Village Engineer, the property owner will then be responsible for 100% of the repair/replacement cost. The driveway approach includes the adjacent, associated street curbing.

*Residential is defined as:
Single Family Homes
Apartment Units of 4 or fewer

Street curbing – The Village will replace street curbing on an as-needed basis to maintain proper drainage and preserve street pavements. Replacement will typically occur with associated street pavement maintenance projects. When replacement includes curbing adjacent to a driveway approach which is not scheduled for repair/replacement the Village will be responsible for 100% of the cost of the curbing.

Construction Standards – The Village Engineer will maintain construction standards for sidewalk and driveway approaches. Each project within the R/W, not managed by the Village, will require a permit and inspection. The cost of permits and inspection will be updated on an as-needed basis by Village staff.

Maintenance Standards– The Village Engineer and staff will develop maintenance standards for sidewalk and driveway approaches to apply to all properties within Marble Cliff. Considerations will be primarily based on pedestrian safety and drainage as opposed to aesthetic improvements. The primary (but not the only) safety issue is tripping hazards.

Tripping hazards are defined as any raised or depressed sidewalk (a vertically misaligned panel of a one-half inch or greater) which would have the potential to catch the foot of someone walking or impair the travel of a wheeled mobility device. Severe deterioration can also be considered a hazard and is defined as those sidewalks with surface defects of one-half inch or greater and/or a loose “rocking” panel.

ADA Ramps at street intersections – The Village will cover all cost associated with constructing ADA ramps at street intersections and publically maintained crosswalks. Many intersections within the Village have older-style ADA (American with Disabilities Act) wheelchair ramps. The Village plans to upgrade these ramps when adjoining streets are rebuilt or repaved. Since the Village is currently pursuing pavement preventative-maintenance work, actual repaving may not occur for another five to seven years. By coordinating the ADA ramp replacement with repaving, the Village ensures that the most up-to-date standard will be applied to this capital investment when required by law.

Snow Removal

The City of Grandview Heights Service Department plows and salts Village streets on an as-needed basis. Residents are expected to clear their public walks of ice and snow.


Residents are urged to minimize storm water contaminants. Storm water pollution is caused by the daily activities of people everywhere. Rainwater and snowmelt that run off our streets and lawns pick up fertilizers, dirt, pesticides, oil and grease, and many other pollutants on the way to the Scioto River. Residents are urged to do the following things to prevent storm water pollution from leaving our Village:
1. Clean up after your pet.
2. Wash you car on the grass, not the driveway.
3. Apply lawn and garden chemicals sparingly.
4. Never throw litter in the streets; place cigarette butts in the trash.
5. Recycle motor oil.
6. Compost your yard waste, including grass clippings and leaves.
7. Have gutters and down spouts drain onto the ground, not onto driveways.
8. Clean up spilled brake fluid, grease, and antifreeze, rather than hosing them off into the storm drains.
9. Dispose of household cleaners and paint. Don’t pour them down toilets or storm water drains.

Street Lights

Report broken or non-functioning street lights to Village Hall at 614-486-6993.

Traffic Signals

To report problems with traffic signals during business hours, contact Village Hall at 614-486-6993. To report problems after hours, contact the Grandview Heights Police Department at 614-488-7901.

Tree Lawn Maintenance

RESIDENT RESPONSIBILITY To maintain a safe Village, residents are reminded that Village code requires them to trim all trees and shrubbery that overhang a public street, sidewalk, or alley. This includes trees and shrubs planted between the sidewalk and street. Tree branches are to be trimmed to a minimum clearance above ground of ten feet over sidewalks and 12 feet over streets. Shrubs are to be trimmed so that no foliage overhangs the sidewalk or street.
Residents are to maintain the mulched area around trees planted in the tree lawn so the tree cannot be hit by a lawnmower or a string trimmer. Damaging bark on a tree is one of the top reasons for trees dying over time. When new trees are planted, residents are asked to water the new trees during periods of dry weather or when the tree shows signs of stress/lack of water.
VILLAGE RESPONSIBILITY Only the Village may plant trees or vegetation in the tree lawn between the sidewalk and the street. Please call Village Hall at 486-6993 with questions about existing trees or planting new trees in the tree lawn. Periodically, the Village may trim the street trees or add new trees at no cost to the homeowner.